Lead ProgrammerApply Now
Great location. Great coworkers. Lifesaving games.
Located in Chicago’s River North area, Level Ex®’s fast-growing game studio is transforming the way surgeons hone their skills by practicing high-risk surgeries with the latest medical devices in our industry-leading mobile, AR, and VR titles.
Our games are built using state-of-the-art graphics and physics tech and deploy an arsenal of well-designed game mechanics to capture the thrill and challenge of performing real surgery. These games increase dramatically in difficulty as the player progresses, and are carefully crafted with professional level design, compulsion loops, flow channels, and deliberate gameplay balance. Backed by a mature art pipeline and latest-gen engine tech, we’re able to recreate surgery with spectacular realism.
Our engine has earned the trust of the country’s leading physicians; plus, we’ve custom-built GPU-based real-time fluids, tissue shading, and soft-body systems that enable a wide range of new game mechanics in mobile and VR. Our team unites award-winning game designers, developers, and artists with industry-leading surgeons, all passionate about using game design approaches to keep doctors across the world performing at the top of their game.
We’re looking for an experienced, technical Lead Programmer to lead a group of Software Engineers responsible for design, implementation, and maintenance of custom game projects.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Manage the programming team responsible for the engineering of custom content in our mobile, AR, and VR games
- Manage the technical specifications, engineering, coding standards, and overall code architecture from start to finish on projects
- Provide support and guidance to the programming team, making sure they understand design objectives and timelines
- Collaborate closely with other team members in game design, art, production, QA, medical research, and marketing on various project requirements, timelines, build reviews, and testing
- Write clean, professional, and maintainable code within our existing games
- Proactively problem-solve stability and performance issues, especially for mobile devices
Who We Want To Meet
- 5+ years of game development experience with at least two shipped titles
- Solid experience working in Unity3D or Unreal Engine 4
- 2+ years of programming team management
- iOS or Android development experience on at least one released game
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience across multiple aspects of game development such as character control, physics, graphics, game logic, asset loading, scoring, analytics, etc.
- Excellent problem solving and debugging skills
- Proficiency with algorithms, design patterns, and data structure design
- Fluency in C#
- Proficiency with source control tools, like Perforce
Bonus Points For
- Experience with continuous integration tools such as Jenkins or TeamCity
- Experience working with backend tools for game development
- VR development experience
- 3D graphics experience
- Excellent 3D math skills
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Creating games that genuinely make a difference in people’s lives
- Competitive salary
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401k plan with matching, flex spending account, and commuter benefits
- Unlimited cold brew coffee, beer, and tasty snacks
- Flexible, reasonable work schedules in a team-focused environment
For the fastest consideration please send us your resume along with a cover letter detailing why you’re an excellent fit for this role using the provided link. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
No Agencies/Recruiters, please
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.