Senior Game DesignerApply Now
Great location. Great coworkers. Lifesaving games.
Located in Chicago’s River North area, Level Ex’s fast-growing game studio is transforming the way physicians hone and
refine their skills in our industry-leading mobile, AR, and VR titles.
Our games are built using state-of-the-art graphics and physics tech, and deploy an arsenal of well-designed game
mechanics to capture the thrill and challenge of performing real surgery. These games increase dramatically in difficulty
as the player progresses, and are carefully crafted with professional level design, compulsion loops, flow channels, and
deliberate gameplay balance. Backed by a mature art pipeline and latest-gen engine tech, we’re able to recreate surgery
with spectacular realism.
Our engine has earned the trust of the country’s leading physicians; plus, we’ve custom-built GPU-based real-time fluids,
tissue shading, and soft-body systems that enable a wide range of new game mechanics in mobile and VR. Our team
unites award-winning game designers, developers, and artists with industry-leading surgeons, all passionate about using
game design approaches to keep doctors across the world performing at the top of their game
We’re looking for an experienced, creative Senior Game Designer o join our team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Defining and managing all aspects of gameplay: high-level goals, balance, scoring, controls, and other areas
- Detailing case designs and requirements with supporting documents and reference materials
- Taking charge of scripting gameplay that defines the overall gameplay experience
- Working with our lead product manager identifying game events and data to be tracked in the analytics system for future gameplay optimization
- Coordinating design goals with production, product management, artists, and engineers
- Working with doctors and medical researchers on technical specifications, plus finding ways to incorporate their feedback as part of compelling and exciting gameplay mechanics
Who We Want To Meet
- 5+ years of hands-on game design experience, including senior/lead design roles on mobile and free-to-play/freemium games with an audience of 1M+ players
- Shipped two or more games on mobile, PC, or console platforms
- Deep understanding of the psychology of game design, and experience applying those principles in new kinds of design and game mechanics
- Working knowledge of at least one industry-standard analytics tool (Leanplum, DeltaDNA, Unity Analytics, etc.)
- Unity or UE4 in-engine experience
- Experience optimizing and re-balancing a live game product post-launch based on user feedback and data
- Experience creating, revising and maintaining game design documentation
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas, and make smart tradeoffs
- Experience communicating and championing the larger vision of games across numerous types of stakeholders
Bonus Points For
- Experience doing technical and or simulation-based game design
- Strong Unity or UE4 in-engine experience
- Economy design experience
- C# experience
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Creating games that genuinely make a difference in people’s lives
- Competitive salary
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401k plan with matching, flex spending account, and commuter benefits
- Unlimited cold brew coffee, beer, and tasty snacks
- Flexible, reasonable work schedules in a team-focused environment
For the fastest consideration please send us your resume along with a cover letter detailing why you’re a fit for this role using the “Apply” button at the top. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
No Agencies/Recruiters, please
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.