VFX ArtistApply Now
Note: This is not an entry level position, please see the requirements below
Great location. Great coworkers. Lifesaving games.
Located in Chicago’s River North area, Level Ex®’s fast-growing game studio is transforming the way surgeons hone their skills by practicing high-risk surgeries with the latest medical devices in our industry-leading mobile, AR, and VR titles.
Our games are built using state-of-the-art graphics and physics tech, and deploy an arsenal of well-designed game mechanics to capture the thrill and challenge of performing real surgery. These games increase dramatically in difficulty as the player progresses, and are carefully crafted with professional level design, compulsion loops, flow channels, and deliberate gameplay balance. Backed by a mature art pipeline and latest-gen engine tech, we’re able to recreate surgery with spectacular realism.
Our engine has earned the trust of the country’s leading physicians; plus, we’ve custom-built GPU-based real-time fluids, tissue shading, and soft-body systems that enable a wide range of new game mechanics in mobile and VR. Our team unites award-winning game designers, developers, and artists with industry-leading surgeons, all passionate about using game design approaches to keep doctors across the world performing at the top of their game.
We’re now looking for a talented VFX Artist to join our development team.
What You’ll Be Doing with Us
- Working closely with our art director, artists, designers, and others to create a wide range of high fidelity, real-time visual effects using both 2D and 3D elements
- Working with engineering so that visual effects are optimized to run at defined frame rates and fit within technical constraints and memory limitations
- Maintaining clean and organized assets and file structures along with identifying and creating best practice workflows
- Working with production to create time estimates and completing visual effects as defined by schedules
- Troubleshooting and providing fixes to visual effects bugs, as needed
- Researching new software solutions and trends to keep pushing the visual effects bar in our games
Who We Want To Meet
- 2+ years experience working in a game development environment along with mobile game experience
- 1+ games shipped as a credited VFX artist
- Thorough understanding of the Unity FX pipeline and using Unity3D
- Experience using Maya, along with knowledge of animation pipelines
- Excellent FX texture drawing/creation abilities in Photoshop
- Experience with real-time particle and fluid systems like; Houdini, Maya Fluids, RealFlow, Bifrost, Fume FX, etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of motion, timing, color, texture, form, and how to create visual impact
- Shareable online portfolio highlighting your best realistic-based visual effects
Bonus Points For
- Shader technical experience
- Experience with node-based shader editors such as Shader Forge, Unreal Material Editor, or Amplify
- Experience in XR development
- Traditional animation experience
- Familiarity with medical and anatomy concepts
How We Make You Happy
- Creating games that genuinely make a difference in people’s lives
- Competitive salary
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401k plan with matching, flex spending account, and commuter benefits
- Unlimited cold brew coffee, beer, and tasty snacks
- Flexible, reasonable work schedules in a team-focused environment
Please send your resume, an online link to your portfolio, and a cover letter telling us why you think you’d be perfect for the position using the provided link. We look forward to hearing from you and exploring the possibilities.
No Agencies/Recruiters, please
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.